Friday, September 14, 2012

8th grade English

I have taught Pre-K 3 & 4, 5th grade, 7th grade, and now 8th grade!  I am having a blast.  I do feel like I am drowning, BUT it is just part of the experience.  We are currently writing, but it won't last too long because we have to go back to reading and analyzing literature.  In fact, this paper is based on literature!  That is SOOOO much better to teach, at least for me.  I know that I have to teach SOME writing in 8th grade, but it is not EVERY SINGLE DAY OF MY LIFE!

We have been reading "The Tell-Tale Heart" by Edgar Allen Poe, and the kids LOVED it.  It is gory, mysterious, and gruesome.  8th grade kids couldn't ask for anything more...As we read, we watched a theatrical production of a monologue.  They were gasping and murmuring as the story was being told!  It is wonderful to see that you are able to give them lessons that interest them.  I had them analyze the story for diction and imagery and how those things created the menacing tone.  They were all enthralled with being able to pick the description word for diction and imagery!  Next, they had to write an essay explaining their analysis.  They are enjoying finding the quotes from the story to prove their opinions.  When they see that their peers have a different quote to prove their descriptions they get excited to share and prove theirs.  I LOVE seeing them want to do this.

I am blessed beyond measure and enjoying myself greatly!  I am thankful for this opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment