Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Sudden shock

Today, I received an email for a withdrawal grade for one of my best students.  This student is a very strong reader and writer and although, too talkative most of the time, like many of my students, this student is precious.

I was so surprised by this, as was another co-worker of mine, so we did some research.  I found out that this student was living with friends currently.  Mom was in the picture, but has been AWOL for quite some time, leaving this student with the friends. 

At some point in the past this student and Mom were beaten while at the friends' house, and had to spend some time in an abuse shelter.  The threat was finally out of the picture and this student and Mom were able to move back in with the friends.  Since then is when Mom went  AWOL. 

This past week Mom tried to commit suicide, she was unsuccessful, but was subsequently placed on life support.  This weekend the family made the decision to pull Mom off life-support. 

So fairly short story, even shorter, this student lost Mom.  This student will be moving to live with older brother in a completely different city.

I feel so sorry for my student.  I CANNOT imagine having to deal with ANY of this history at my age, but especially not in the transforming and challenging years of pre-teen adolescents. 

Life is too short.  Make sure you regularly, if not daily, tell those around you that you love them, and how special they are to you.

Please keep this student in your prayers.  Comfort, peace, and eternal love are definitely needed right now.

Blessings,

Mrs. ABC

No comments:

Post a Comment