Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The things that make that teacher smile :-) laugh :-D cringe :-/ or simply go insane *-*.....

I have started a class blog for my 7th grade students.  The first assignment they were to complete was started on Monday, November 1st was and due on today, November 3rd.

They were to watch a Disney movie and list the protagonist, antagonist, conflict(s), resolution(s), tone and theme.

One would think that teaching the students of the "digital generation" to use a blog for class would be easy, but NO!  That couldn't be further from the truth. 

I have gone over (on Monday, Tuesday, AND Wednesday) how to find the blog, how to read the blog, how to write your name in so I identify them, but a stranger couldn't, and how to leave comments.  I have even shown them that they cannot see their blog comment until I approve it.

But I still have crazy, ridiculous questions every day, ALL DAY!  At least the students care enough about their grades to turn the assignment in multiple times, trying to get it to appear....but it just makes all the more work for me.  :-/

This is the most recent post from one of my students, and it made me laugh so hard --maybe in crazed frustration, maybe from my previous illusions of grandeur, or maybe I am just finally losing my mind--maybe we will never know....you may not laugh as I did...but you might!  There is always hope, right?!?!  Anyway, I thought I would share.

AGAIN...this is seventh grade English (WRITING) class.
All parts required are given, but I am just curious....look at it....read it.....enjoy it....try to think as much like a teacher as you can...what grade would you assign?


I wached penockeo
The protagonist is the fox and his frend
The antagonist is ponockeo,and his fouther
The coonflict in the move is caricter vs caricter.penockeo gets trickt in to going to a happy place for kids but they just keeping bad kides in ther
The tone of the story is misterios because its like a happy sed
ponckeo's theme is never talk to strangers


Thanks,

THAT Teacher

5 comments:

  1. Well, if you didn't say anything about spelling, grammar, punctuation or developing a sentence in your instructions, I'd say this is a 100. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would agree, except the protagonist and antagonist are mixed up...

    I didn't even realize they were switched thought until just now....that is how crazy it has all been.

    My concerns for the generation to care for me...
    1) WHY, oh WHY can they NOT copy.....the movie spelled Pinocchio correctly!

    2)WHY, oh WHY would you not capitalize the NAMES of people? Do you not capitalize YOUR VERY OWN NAME?!

    3)WHY, oh WHY can you not use SOME TYPE OF PUNCTUATION!!!!!!!!!!!

    I mean, really....ponckeo???? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I won't even try to grade!

    Caroline had a teacher blog at one point.....you guys could compare.

    And, what a great idea.....having them enter information.

    Want to know how old I am? My first assignment in my computer lit class in college was to figure out how to send my professor an email. It was harder than I thought it would be! Had to go to the LSU library, wait in line, log in, etc....no one had laptops at the time....few had computers at all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was this typical of all the blog answers or the worst? And does this person write this way on paper - or did writing on the net change his mind. You know, made him think he was texting where normal people wouldn't capitalize and would just guess at spelling, etc. Well, normal people except for us who can't stand anything grammatically wrong.

    Oh, I know - did you show them how to use spell check???? If not, then it's not their fault!
    keep you humor; it will keep your sanity,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a limited English proficient student. The student is being monitored for improvement in the English language, especially academic English since being removed from ESL classes. I cannot say that is the worst.....so many of them are THAT bad.

    BUT THAT is why I teach....(I think)...

    ReplyDelete