Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Kids say the darndest things....

Today in one of my many interesting, humor-filled, crazy kid encounters I was nearly knocked off my feet.

Here is the conversation that took place:


Student 1: Mrs. Clemens, do you have some scissors for me to cut this
string off my pants? (hem was completely ripped from bottom of pants)
 

Me: (With a quizzical look on my face) Well, I do have scissors, but you aren't cutting your clothes in my class. 

Student 2: Oh. That's called prostitution! 

Me:(Whipping my head around more quickly than I knew could happen) Excuse me?

Student 2: That's what they said about this girl on the t.v. the other
night with rips all in her clothes!

Me: No that is not called prostitution.  Do you know what prostitution means? 

Student 2: Um, someone with holey clothes? You know rips and stuff all in 'em?!

Me: Nope, not at all.  Go ahead and wait in the hall for me.

(Student 2 was very embarrassed at the choice of words and has promised to think before they speak out like that again.  

ME: NOW THAT YOU KNOW WHAT THIS WORD MEANS, LET'S MAKE A DEAL....THAT YOU WON'T TRY OUT NEW VOCABULARY WITHOUT FIRST SPEAKING TO AN ADULT ABOUT IT.  DOES THAT SOUND LIKE A PLAN?

STUDENT 2:  OOOOOOOHHHHHH!   YES MA'AM!  SORRY, MRS. CLEMENS!  (Grinning went back into the class and was quiet for the rest of the day! :)


OH the joys of my adolescents!  Just can't help but love them.  :)

1 comment:

  1. This is why our kids don't watch prime time TV, rated PG-13 movies, and the like! I swear, we're a dying breed. Most kids see and learn way too much way too early!

    ReplyDelete